Wednesday 9 November 2011

Better out than in

"Every hour a child spends outdoors each week reduces their chance of becoming short-sighted by two per cent."

In between blinking duties, that was a newspaper article my eyes saw over this past week.

I’m genuinely grateful for Waitrose quality sight to date. If these Cantabrigian scientists are correct, then my childhood supports their theory – I played outside at every available opportunity.

(Cantabrigian means 'from/of Cambridge'. I hold my hands up, it was new to me too.)

Anyway, I began to recount some of the outdoor activities that may have contributed to my virtuous vision.

Here’s a selection:

Football

This was always going to be recalled first.

Squint trees or jumpers for goalposts. It’s hard to express the clarity with which the memories from hundreds of evenings at ‘the field’ are seared into my mind.

Mainly fraught doubles tournaments, sometimes sides. The reputation of our Bothwell set-up went before it. Friends from Uddingston thought nothing of cycling three miles just to be a part of those matches.

A special shout goes out to Adam Armstrong here, for all those afternoons and evenings hitting and saving long range shots.

Survival-hunt

You know the drill.

Required the following: 1 x housing estate; 1 x cold evening where you could see your own breath; 2 x ‘het’ participants; 15+ ‘not het’ participants; 1 x unathletic type to suffer the ignominy of being caught first. Could also be played on bikes.

Footy-down

Only played on bikes, with multiple cyclists.

A large square was selected and you had to remain on your bike within that limited space. Competitors interweaved, trying to make opponents ‘put a foot down’ without getting in a tight spot themselves. Proceedings gradually whittled down to one winner. Tactics, psychology, balance and skill.

In my opinion it was never played as much as its ingenuity deserved.

Go-karts

Of the pedal variety. And maybe not so much in my teens!

Kettler anyone? It’s only fair that I be quiet here and give you a moment to reflect. Some of you might be smiling.

Rope-swings

There was always one of these kicking about somewhere.


I'm keen to hear your memories of incredible childhood outdoor gaming......

10 comments:

  1. "Better out than in" is the mantra I like to live my life by :)

    High-tig was always a good one when nobody had a ball or the guy that owned it wasn't allowed out. "Ye cannae tig me, I wiz jumpin!" Great days.

    Footy down sounded good, we never played it but I reckon I would have liked it.

    Another favourite was the party game where you had a balloon tied to your foot and the aim was to be the last one with it not having been burst. My footballing brain often stood me in good stead on this one. Did you mind always being one of the first out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog as ever Kenny.

    I only played football and survival hunt although we referred to it as man-hunt. I can't help but feel deprived that I never got to play "Footy-down" it sounds fantastic! "Armies" was a favourite of my childhood and climbing every tree I could!

    Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever play headie two kick? With the aforementioned jumpers for goals, two players would take turns to head off proceedings. The receiver was allowed only two touches before the headerer could then kick. Thus: header, control, blooter-goal or save, stramash etc Good fun.
    Nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenny, what about 'What's your letter'. Similar to survival hunt except that you divided into two teams, each participant had a letter of a particular word and the aim was to catch an opposing team member and 'persuade' them to tell you their letter and in turn make the word. Persuasion could take various forms, but suffice to say, some of the lads who excelled have gone onto successful careers at Guantanamo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments so far.

    Morlando - High-tig eh? Sounds good but word on the street is that folk can't get a newspaper under you when you jump. You wouldn't have been allowed to play Footy-down with your stabilisers. As for party games, that's you opening up a whole new can of worms.

    Stu Waugh - Yes, armies was good. It featured as a school play-time game for me, right up until 6th year. As for your favourite hiding places, try googling 'Zacchaeus'.

    ND Mitchell - Headie Two Kick sounds like a villain from James Bond. Great use of stramash.

    Dave A - I'm sure in What's Your Letter there would be scope to get a dig in on someone you didn't really like, but justify it as being part of the game. You've done well there to make Kiss Cuddle or Torture sound more manly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am familiar with 'whats your letter' but as far but we called it Blue Murder... whats your letter sounds like a 70s game show.It was ok until you got past like 12 and actually started to hurt each other

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew that game as Blue Murder as well, I think you have been watching too much "Take a Letter" on Crackerjack. For us, Kiss Cuddle or Torture was ABC (we made it educational to practice our alphabet skills). Funny thing was, the uglies always managed to pick Torture, what are the chances ...?

    I accept the stabilisers comment but I have to say I'm surprised you brought it up knowing that it makes it fair game to mention how you needed a set to pass your driving test.

    Surprised no-one yet has mentioned kerbie, hours of fun with that one, kids round our way still play that one when they aren't filling their time with some light-hearted vandalism and playing chicken with the traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw the title I was expecting some toilet humour! I can't believe that no mention yet of the quintessential footy games Wally (1,2 or 3 touch), 3 and in and Libs. As young troubled adolecents we also enjoyed pursuits such as "Chappy", pitch and toss and Moshi (the thinking mans pitchy). Great blog as ever KC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for the comments folks.

    Stephen Walsh - Could you begin your comment with a capital ' I ' next time please.

    Morlando - Yes, Kerbie was excellent. Always tried to suss out which was the better kerb before picking sides.

    Lex - Thanks. What an impressive tirade of outdoor gaming you've just hit us with. Good use of quintessential.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant post mate! Brought back some great memories. I loved my Kettler Go-kart and we used to call survival-hunt Man Hunt as well. Footy-down was massively underrated, we lived in a cul-de-sac which was perfect for it. We also played World Cuppy (baggsy Brazil!), Kerby, Kick-The-Can and something called Best Man Falls. You stood at the top of a grassy hill and then your mates at the bottom asked you what weapon you wanted to be 'killed' by. My personal favourite was a grenade launcher. They then pretended to fire it and you had to throw yourself down said hill as if you had been propelled by an A-Teamesque explosion. Don't really know what the point of this was but it was great fun. I also loved my bike and building three brick ramps, getting your mates to lie down to see if you could clear them! Good times, thanks for reminding me of them,

    ReplyDelete